Home » freebies, game

Haruhi Fighting Game: Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekitou

24 January 2010 83 Comments

Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekitou is a 3-D fighting game that uses characters from the Haruhi Suzumiya series. If you’re familiar with Super Mario Smash Bros., you’ll have a good idea of what this game is like. The game is developed by doujin circle Souvenir Circ. and originally sold at Comiket 2007/2008. Gekitou is actually an upgraded version of Suzumiya Haruhi no Chourantou, a previous game also made by Souvenir Circ., and has a ton of new features missing in the original. There are four playmodes: Arcade, Story, Free Battle and Mission.
Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekitou:

Suzumiya Haruhi no Chourantou:

Playable characters include Haruhi, Mikurue, Kyon, Koizumi, Yuki, Kyon’s sister, Tsuruya-san, and Ryoko. In addition, Konoata and Akira from Lucky Star are unlockable characters.  All the characters are fully voiced and customizable with special costumes and items you can unlock by completing objectives in the game. The only downside is that most things except the main selection screens are in Japanese and there doesn’t seem to be an English patch available anywhere. However, the gameplay and controls are simple and intuitive, so there shouldn’t be too much difficulty figuring things out.

The game can be downloaded here (alternate download). You’ll need an image mounting program like Daemon Tools or Alcohol 52% to play the game:
1. Download the game and unzip the folder to somewhere.
2. Launch Daemon Tools or Alcohol, find the file HARUGEKI.cue in the folder and mount it.
3. Go to Computer and open your new virtual CD/DVD called HARUGEKI (It’ll have a Haruhi icon)
4. Harugeki.exe launches and game and Harugeki_startup.exe configures your settings and controls

Here’s the default controls for player 1:
Use Arrow keys to move around, double tap to dash
Z – attack, pick up items
X – hold X to jump, tap it to dash. You can also dash while jumping
C – drop item or block
X+C – revive
V – perform a special attack, the outcome will be different whether you’re standing still, jumping or dashing around.
Z+V – super special attack, you’ll need at least a half full SOS meter
A and S – rotate the camera

System Requirements
Compatible OS: Windows 2000, XP and Vista
CPU : 2.0GHz Intel Pentium or equivalent procesor
RAM : 256MB or more
Video card : VRAM32MB

Unlocking Konata and Akira:
- Finish Story Mode with Kyon to unlock Haruhi in Story Mode.
- Finish Story Mode with Haruhi to unlock Konata in Story Mode.
- Finish Story Mode with Konata to unlock Akira in Story Mode.
- After unlocking all characters in Story Mode, finish Arcade Mode with any characters to unlock Konata in Arcade/Free Mode.
- After unlocking all characters in Story Mode and Konata in Arcade Mode, finish Arcade Mode with any characters to unlock Akira in Arcade/Free Mode.
- After unlocking all characters in Story Mode and both Konata and Akira in Arcade Mode, finish Arcade Mode with any characters to unlock Difficulty: Mega in Config.

Thanks to Marty for sending in the tip about the game. If you have Haruhi-related news or media to share, send it in!

• Yumeka said:

I tried out the game and it’s pretty fun. The only thing I’m having trouble with is that the Japanese text won’t appear correctly in the startup.exe or in the game’s config or other selection menus (it’s either a bunch of ??? or some weird characters). I can understand some Japanese so it would be helpful if I could read the menus. I can read and type Japanese on web pages and stuff so I don’t know why it won’t work in the game >_< The game lags somewhat too but that could be my computer.

But other than these issues, it's working fine for me and it seems like a well-made doujin =D

• Roflman said:

A bit late, as I’ve been playing this for almost a year…

But I haven’t played this in awhile, so I might start picking up on it again… ;)

• kyon (author) said:

Lol, yeah I know, it’s been like 2 years since this has been out :D Well better late than never I say. Plus it’s not well known outside of Japan so I bet a lot people haven’t played it yet.

Can’t help you there Yumeka, I have the same problem even though I have Japanese font installed (or maybe I’m doing something wrong). I found some sites that started doing an english patch but looked like they stalled.

I just copied the unlocking guide for Konata and Akira from a forum, but haven’t played enough to confirm it. If anyone has done it, please confirm that the steps listed are correct.

• S.O.S. Brigade Underling #1 said:

I can’t help screaming KYON BURST! when i use his special midair attack

• SonicDaMan said:

It would be nice if there was a online-multiplayer patch for it

• g-12-y.n said:

how about the pc with 1.83 ghz .. can it be played on windows 7 ??

• ares5 said:

How exactly do you save?

• S.O.S. Brigade Underling #1 said:

Here’s a tip to beat the last level in story or arcade mode. Pick up a mace and keep bashing away at everyone near you, save up your points till it’s 100% and it starts dropping. Keep using your special until everyone’s baked. The pick up the mace again to start gathering points. If all else fails keep running and hang around the edge until the COM comes to you, keep dashing. Eventually the COM will commit suicide but it’ll take a very long time.

I recommend Mikuru (normal special move) for the last 1v5 battle in arcade. It’ll kill at least 3 people and leave at least 2 severely weakened. You’ll have about 1/3 of your Hp if you’re lucky if you’ve used my mace tip.

• Tsukune said:

How get Nanatsuya avatar? Or how look like? I passed all missions (27) and unlocked Kona & Akira. If some one unlock that avatar post how get it. Thx for info.

• lbbef said:

Inside your regional and language settings, change the language for non-unicode programs to japanese. the characters should display correct now

• Can I get you something to drink? said:

Download don’t work (like 99,9% of all filehosters [just empty sites]) Can you maybe send it to me via e-mail? Please…

• haruhi said:

how much MB will alcohol 52% or daemon tools will it take up on my hard drive?

• haruhi said:

damn the download spit into RAR files instead is that suposed to happen?

• Miku Hatsune said:

Yes how with the saving?

• Miku hatsune said:

AHa! It would appear that you must complete a story before it is saved… Thanks for the help every1

• Yodhi said:

how to save game?

• haruhi said:

well i don’t know how to save i’m having trouble trying to dL it i ‘ll try again laTER.

• Luca said:

It’s working with Windows 7 on my MacBook use Boot Camp.

• Nowaki's Noa said:

that’s craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy i like crazy

• Nikki said:

I got an error :C

• rizZ06 said:

hey..

is this game in japanese?

i really want to play this game.. but i cant read japanese..

• Sam Cross said:

Hey guys look! An english version is Released and Ready for download on

• Sam Cross said:

Actually its a game patch. A Japanese to English patch. (nice!)

• Sam Cross said:

english patch has a bug! you can attack but can’t move!

don’t use it!

• Sam Cross said:

english has gone into waste…

• AnimeAelita said:

i have downloaded this game and i cant stop playing it would some one help any tips on to stop being addicted i just have one complaint in story you cant understand what they are saying but thats tho only complaint honestly it beats every other game so far that ive played

• AnimeAelita said:

this game rocks

• Nirvax said:

I don’t understand a thing at all, but I love it, thanks you so much =)

• Nirvax said:

I got a little problem, please, how can I save ?

• narok said:

those games can be played online, can’t it?
    i want to play it with my friends :”>

• Kendall said:

in order to save you have to put the whole game on you harddrive. Ex. Desktop or something.

• theseventhpath said:

@Kyon(author) and Yumeka

I’ve found the solution to get the Japanese fonts to display correctly. I’m on a Microsoft Vista computer so the steps displayed’ll be for a Vista computer. I think it’s about the same for any other Microsoft OS too.

Basically what you do is:

1. Go Control Panel
    2. Go to “Change keyboards or other input methods”
    3. Once the “Regional and Language options” window opens, click on the “Administrative” tab. That’s the tab next to the “Keyboard and Languages” tab.
    4. Under “Language for non-Unicode programs”, click “Change system locale”. You’ll need to be an administrator to do this, as you’ll be prompted to confirm the operation.
    5. Change the system locale to Japanese. Most computers have English set on default, just change that to Japanese.
    6. You’ll be prompted to restart your computer. Save your work, then restart your computer.
    7. Re-run HaruGeki and it should display the Japanese fonts correctly.

Hope that helped. Of course, at this point of time I have no clue what changing the system locale’ll do, but it’s a solution for displaying Japanese fonts on the game.

• JohnJonas said:

well this game runs on my notebook (minilaptop)
    with an OS of Windows 7 Ultimate 1.7GH intel atom
    a graphic card 256 and a ram of 2gb

• AnimeAelita said:

does any1 know a cheat 2 unlock Akira & Konata cuz i want them but i cnt do story mode, if u do pls tell me

• AnimeAelita said:

i screamed yes at the top of my voice wen i got Konata in story nd my fam wz rlly annoyed i will do it again though

• AnimeAelita said:

grrrrrrrrr…………..im gonna kill this game in a min. i got 2 error messages on the game so i turned it off and bak on. alls good so far, so i went on Story, nd there wz only Kyon nd Haruhi. noooooooooooooooooooo, now i have 2 unlock Konata all ovr again, i hope i get another lucky streak

• AnimeAelita said:

ok, i 4give this game cuz now i have all Story unlocked nd have them unlocked 4 any time, but im not unlocking mega cuz id nvr use it lol anyway YES!!! i cnt believe i unlocked them WOOHOO!!!

• AnimeAelita said:

anyway, im soooooo happy =^_^=

• lucky said:

how do u down load

• Turaos said:

Duh.. i got an error when i start to run it =S

[ 起動設定メニュー ]

OS Windows XP 5.1.2600 Dodatek Service Pack 3
    CPU Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
    DirectX DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Memory( Total ) 2047 MB ( 2.00 GB )
    Memory( Free ) 1790 MB ( 1.75 GB )
    VRAM 896.0 MB

Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Driver nv4_disp.dll
    Device type D3DDEVTYPE_HAL
    VP mode HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING
    Max Texture Size 8192 x 8192

Vertex shader ver 3.0 – [ 1.1 : ok ], [ 2.0 : ok ]
    Pixel shader ver 3.0 – [ 1.1 : ok ], [ 2.0 : ok ]

– シェーダスキニングが実行できます( 256 )

R5G6B5 OK
    A1R5G5B5 OK
    A4R4G4B4 OK
    A8R8G8B8 OK

anyone got idea what i can do abt it? D:

• Itsuko said:

Can you upload it in media fire it says download limit exceeded.

• Kyon-kun said:

I scream Kyon Supernova every time I play Kyon and considerably, he’s the only character I could play well in Gekitou, oh and uh, Gekitou means Hyper Battle, if you might wanna know.

• Kyon-kun said:

With all due respect I must say I feel that the game doesn’t respond to your pressing instantly, you have to wait for your character to snap out of some trance and slide along the screen. But the moves are quite amusing, including mine.

• kyonasawa said:

^I must say he is right. . .

• Sukai44 said:

Great game, but I can’t confugure the controls, I get and error message and then they return to default, any help?

• AnimeAelita said:

i cnt help u there, but its easy 2 learn the controls after a few Free Battles

• Desnoyers said:

bon je vais etre cours je ne peux pas jouer je les telecharger mis sur un cd tout marche il demare et apres j’ai pas les differents mode (histoire,combat)ect j’ai direct un combat de lancer entre les perso et je les controle meme pas je sais meme pas comment faire start donc please expliquer moi comment faire

• kyon kun said:

i will try this ^^

• Kazumi said:

errrmmmmm…… can someone help me~ == i downloaded the DAEMON Tools then it can start….. but can play always error then i try to change the setup but it won’t let me == then how~ ?? i really want to play this game >.< HELP ME~~~

• Sarah :) said:

i dont know much japanese but i dont care! I cant wait to start playing!! :D

• Hamtaro Ham Ham said:

Tsuruya-san is SO BROKE! I rape face with her Lol

• Zakuzi Laquinon said:

I envy you guys T_T, I always get an Error,. I don’t know what kind of problem,
    I was wondering can it be played even you didn’t config the regional language settings to Japanese?…… I was wondering that might be the error.. or the other problem is my System unit,. My unit is quite old. so that might be the other problem. I saw the System Requirements Above so I thought this would work with my PC.

——————
    System Information
    ——————
    Time of this report: 4/2/2011, 20:21:04
    Machine name: WINXPSP2
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: GBT___
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.00GHz
    Memory: 608MB RAM
    Page File: 379MB used, 1105MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

—————
    Display Devices
    —————
    Card name: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (Microsoft Corporation)
    Manufacturer: S3 Graphics, Inc
    Chip type: S3 ProSavage DDR
    DAC type: S3 SDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_5333&DEV_8D04&SUBSYS_D0001458&REV_00
    Display Memory: 32.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (70Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: s3gnb.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.0012 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run

————-
    Sound Devices
    ————-
    Description: Vinyl AC’97 Audio (WAVE)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_A0041458&REV_50
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: vinyl97.sys
    Driver Version: 6.14.0001.4200 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo’d: Yes
    Date and Size: 6/27/2007 14:42:00, 207488 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: VIA Technologies, Inc.
    HW Accel Level: Full
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
    Registry: OK
    Sound Test Result: Not run

———————
    Sound Capture Devices
    ———————
    Description: Vinyl AC’97 Audio (WAVE)
    Default Sound Capture: Yes
    Default Voice Capture: Yes
    Driver Name: vinyl97.sys
    Driver Version: 6.14.0001.4200 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Date and Size: 6/27/2007 14:42:00, 207488 bytes
    Cap Flags: 0×41
    Format Flags: 0xFFF

Please Don’t laugh (^^) I’m poor so I cant afford Expensive stuff,

• Hamtaro Ham Ham said:

I completed all the story mode’s and unlocked both konata and akira. I beat the arcade mode but I am not sure if I unlocked the mega difficulty mode. Is someone able to give me a translated version of the config? I’ve been playing japanese settings the whole time and I’ve been guessing on some of the config stuff. Thanks!

Hamtaro

• Yuki26 said:

Please help me… I’ve finished Kyon’s story but I still can’t save the game. What should I do?

• Ann' Diyanah said:

sugoi..
    i want games of haruhi suzumiya for computers..
    i mean pc games…
    i am totally crazy about haruhi…
    where can i get haruhi suzumiya pc games??
    hontoni?? i really want to try some of haruhi games..
    onegaishimasu!!

• Blah said:

Help…anyone…please…

the game crashes just before I can even play!

(I had played for some time, but it crashes)

Or maybe…instead of saying the game crashing…I think it’s my computer.

The game just exit itself, I don’t know what the heck happened. Every time a match will begin, it will exit. Man, someone help me!

• kyon kun said:

can you help me too install this guys??

• Haru-chan said:

Nobody knows how to save?!
    I finished Kyon’s story, then closed the game and came back an hour later to play Haruhi’s story, just to find out that it didn’t save.
    Can anyone help me?

@kyon kun:
    Have you installed Daemon Tools (lite)? Google it, run it/install it, open it, click the icon on the left and open the unzipped map(use Winrar to do that)with the game and click the file availabe. Daemon tools will mount it and then you just have to click the icon on Blu-ray Disc-ROM HARUGEKI or whatever it’s called on your computer. Then you’ll have a map you can open and the program will be in that :D

• João said:

Help me, When I open the start up, i configure the stuff. But i can’t save the settings. I think the window is too small, cause i don’t see the save settings button, or somthing like that. Help me out!

• yuki said:

There is a mask that resembles Hei’s from DtB that I found playing as Yuki. I’m really amazed at how good this game is. Are those NERV mugs I see?

To all those who are still lost trying to save, just copy EVERYTHING from the false “CD” onto your desktop (or anywhere else on your hard drive. Then, after you are done playing, be sure to use the Exit option on the main menu.

• Anonymous Coward said:

@garbled text: Use AppLocale and run the game with it, that will fix the issue. Do *not* change your regional settings, because then all accented characters in text files &c. that you created before will be garbled. (Until you change it back of course, but using AppLocale is much less time consuming than pogoing the system codepage.)
    @English patch: there’s no such thing. The files linked in the comments above don’t work, because the guy who did that three years ago only got as far as extracting the text. No translation was done and no text was put back into the game.

I really want to like this game, but I’m frustrated by the bad controls. Even though the game runs fluently in terms of f/s, when you press a key the chara just sort of stands there and takes too long to actually start moving. That you have to press B when you get knocked about, even though there are no circumstances when not pressing B is better, also annoys me – if I would want to do that I’d play Rockband, which is superior in that category anyway. That jump and dash are the same key is annoying as well. Not quite as annyoing as Halo’s reload/use, but it comes close. There are more such little annoyances, but I’ll give ‘m a rest.
    The default key assignments are really cramp inducing. Yes, they can be changed but that doesn’t change the fact that the default is horrible.
    The camera is pretty lousy. It usually ends up not looking at your enemies and not looking where you’re going either.
    And there are several points in the in-game interface where you have to wait unnecessarily. The C button only scrolls the dialogue, it doesn’t skip. You cannot interrupt the level load. If you die and you kept your buddy alive, you have to wait until (s)he gets beaten up. There’s no restart level option in the menu. And it apparently has to reload the level when you want a do-over.

But at least it isn’t as buggy as Higurashi Daybreak,* and button bashing doesn’t help you as much, which is good. I hate it when a game rewards you for ignoring sensible advice on RSI-prevention.
    And the game is arguably more fun than many other games in its genre, and that in my opinion even includes some of the big titles. If only the game had a little bit more polish, it would have been awesome.

*On the other hand, Higurashi Daybreak had much better stages, with actual geometry.

• Oveneise said:

Looks very interesting… too bad my Laptop is too underpowered to run it.

• Harlan Abdou said:

Compose free iphone ringtones from your mp3 selection easy http://bit.ly/r990pZ

• AnimeAelita said:

Aah, a nice way to spend the time waiting for the game to download (again), watching others’ game play. I’ll upload my own game play soon!

• HaruhiFacePalm said:

I always get an error :( . How can I get my computer to not form an error? Any ideas

• Tiny Lptops said:

Tiny Lptops…

[...]Haruhi Fighting Game: Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekitou | The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya[...]…

• YUKI:N> said:

how exacly do you costomise the apperance of ur character? the bots seem to be able to, but i cant D: ive already tried messing with the status bit but nothing works, plz help!

• HxM said:

Does anyone still have patches 1.01 and 1.02? Please upload if you do! I’ve been looking for download links everywhere and all I could find are those with expired/deleted links.

Help would be truly appreciated…

• Indonesian_Rapist said:

fuck this game…..better i have GTA V,Assasins Creed III,And any others that would be interesting

• yukinory said:

hey I have tried to start it but it get stuck in the bare opening and then my computer says it must get closed and doesnt matter what I do it outo close , what can I do????

• ahkakeru said:

My favorite game! ^_^
    But hey, the 21-last mission is so tough…
    I can’t beat it…

• KoizumiIsAwesome said:

Hey! X3
    I love this game. It’s super fun.
    But I’ve suddenly run into some kinda snag.
    When I try to open the setup, it only opens partially. I can’t see the full thing, so I can’t save my settings. What do I do???

• Employee Engagement said:

Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this post i thought i could
    also create comment due to this good paragraph.

• buy soundcloud followers said:

Outstanding story there. What happened after?
    Thanks!

• Complete Shut-in said:

This game is fun and all but how do u save?

• Despicable Me Minion Rush Hack said:

Howdy! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new
    iphone! Just wanted to say I love reading your
    blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry
    on the great work!

Feel free to surf to my homepage Despicable Me Minion Rush Hack

• Sophia said:

Hi, its fastidious article concerning media print, we
    all know media is a great source of information.

Have a look at my webpage – Despicable Me Minion Rush Hack download (Sophia)

• www.infraredlighttherapy.org said:

Hi there would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re working with?
    I’ve loaded your blog in 3 different internet browsers
    and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a reasonable price?
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

• Dark Souls 2 Free Download said:

I relish, result in I discovered just what I
    was taking a look for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt!
    God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

• g said:

wonderful points altogether, you simply won a new reader.
    What could you recommend about your post that you simply made some days ago?
    Any certain?

• pcgamecheats2013.blogspot.in said:

Hi there, this weekend is nice designed for me, for the reason that this occasion i am reading this fantastic informative post
    here at my residence.

• winrar 64 bit free download for windows 7 said:

winrar 64 bit free download for windows 7…

Haruhi Fighting Game: Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekitou | The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya…

• gta 5 play 3 codigos said:

Me ha cautivado mucho de la forma en que has narrado en relacion a el tema.
    ¿En que lugar podria encontrar mas referencia en relacion a
    el asunto?. Me gusta tu web.

Chekea y puedes navega por mi site- gta 5 play 3 codigos