Haruhi Fighting Game: Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekitou
Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekitou is a 3-D fighting game that uses characters from the Haruhi Suzumiya series. If you’re familiar with Super Mario Smash Bros., you’ll have a good idea of what this game is like. The game is developed by doujin circle Souvenir Circ. and originally sold at Comiket 2007/2008. Gekitou is actually an upgraded version of Suzumiya Haruhi no Chourantou, a previous game also made by Souvenir Circ., and has a ton of new features missing in the original. There are four playmodes: Arcade, Story, Free Battle and Mission.
Suzumiya Haruhi no Gekitou:
Suzumiya Haruhi no Chourantou:
Playable characters include Haruhi, Mikurue, Kyon, Koizumi, Yuki, Kyon’s sister, Tsuruya-san, and Ryoko. In addition, Konoata and Akira from Lucky Star are unlockable characters. All the characters are fully voiced and customizable with special costumes and items you can unlock by completing objectives in the game. The only downside is that most things except the main selection screens are in Japanese and there doesn’t seem to be an English patch available anywhere. However, the gameplay and controls are simple and intuitive, so there shouldn’t be too much difficulty figuring things out.
The game can be downloaded here (alternate download). You’ll need an image mounting program like Daemon Tools or Alcohol 52% to play the game:
1. Download the game and unzip the folder to somewhere.
2. Launch Daemon Tools or Alcohol, find the file HARUGEKI.cue in the folder and mount it.
3. Go to Computer and open your new virtual CD/DVD called HARUGEKI (It’ll have a Haruhi icon)
4. Harugeki.exe launches and game and Harugeki_startup.exe configures your settings and controls
Here’s the default controls for player 1:
Use Arrow keys to move around, double tap to dash
Z – attack, pick up items
X – hold X to jump, tap it to dash. You can also dash while jumping
C – drop item or block
X+C – revive
V – perform a special attack, the outcome will be different whether you’re standing still, jumping or dashing around.
Z+V – super special attack, you’ll need at least a half full SOS meter
A and S – rotate the camera
Compatible OS: Windows 2000, XP and Vista
CPU : 2.0GHz Intel Pentium or equivalent procesor
RAM : 256MB or more
Video card : VRAM32MB
Unlocking Konata and Akira:
- Finish Story Mode with Kyon to unlock Haruhi in Story Mode.
- Finish Story Mode with Haruhi to unlock Konata in Story Mode.
- Finish Story Mode with Konata to unlock Akira in Story Mode.
- After unlocking all characters in Story Mode, finish Arcade Mode with any characters to unlock Konata in Arcade/Free Mode.
- After unlocking all characters in Story Mode and Konata in Arcade Mode, finish Arcade Mode with any characters to unlock Akira in Arcade/Free Mode.
- After unlocking all characters in Story Mode and both Konata and Akira in Arcade Mode, finish Arcade Mode with any characters to unlock Difficulty: Mega in Config.
Thanks to Marty for sending in the tip about the game. If you have Haruhi-related news or media to share, send it in!